My Custom Tying Station



This is ridiculous. (I did not tie this.)


Did you ever get to experience Christmas morning with eager anticipation? You knew there were presents under the tree! You wake up at 5 AM, dying on the inside, knowing your parents wouldn't get up at least for another 2 hours! Whether you celebrate Christmas mornings with or without gifts, or even at all, there are times in your life where you have had moments like these. Something great is coming and the anticipation is killing you. 

I remember one Christmas, I asked for this 18 inch Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle vinyl action figurine. That's a huge action figure! I stayed up the night before, imagining the places I would take it, what I would make it conquer, and how cool it would be to show it off to my friends. Well my dear reader, that moment has come again, and this time it's not a vinyl action figure.

This weekend I received a handmade, custom fly tying desk, and its master craftsmanship will make you drool....






As you can see, this is no ordinary rectangular, manufactured tying station. This masterpiece is made of Walnut and the teardrop inlay is made of Ambrosia Maple. This chocolate and vanilla wafer color combination offers a beautiful contrast to avoid monotony. I worked on the design and layout of the station to give the optimal location of each tool, hook, and thread. 

On the bottom left side you see trays in various lengths to keep hooks, beads, or other highly used tying items. Just above, you see 1 large tray that is used for larger items such as hair stacker, glue, epoxy, hackle gauge, etc... Then, going around to the back on both top and bottom are elongated trays specifically designed for thread spools. The dimensions of these trays were made specific to the thread I use. Curving around to the right, is the tool caddy arm. The holes have brass inserts to hold the tools. They are of various sizes to accommodate for different tool sizes.

Now for some eye candy!



Top View.




Arm Tool Caddy.



Tray Detail. Deep to keep items at bay.




Left Side View.



Quick! Wipe the drool of your chin.

This is probably one of the most beautiful items I own. When I unpacked it from the shipping box, my eyes grew as big as the Grinch's heart after he realized what he had done to Whoville on Christmas morning. 

This is no lap-friendly tying station. The dimensions are 22" wide x 16 1/4" deep. This generously large station will allow for a direct mount vise and give me room to rotate my arm while adding thread to the hook. A light or magnifying glass can also easily be based behind or beside it and still not get in the way.

The joints on the station are strong, and barring any unforeseen mishaps, will last for a lifetime. I plan and hope on making this an heirloom piece in my family for generations to come. 

Time for more eye candy...



The completed and filled station.



Thread spool tray detail.


Ambrosia Maple inlay detail. Look at how precise!


Bonus Feature: Felt Inserts!!


Now, I'm sure you're wondering by now, where did I get it? This was not made by a mass producer or even a local craft shop. This was made by a dear friend and fellow tenkara angler, Richard Setina. You may have seen or met Rick at last year's Tenkara Summit in Boulder. I had the pleasure of meeting him there after being introduced by Jason Klass of Tenkara Talk. Jason showed me the fly box Rick had made for him and I knew he was the guy to undertake this project. Rick's character is as rich as his craftsmanship. When you get to know Rick, you'll soon see what I mean. He has quite the shop to build you almost anything you can design, dream up, or challenge him with. If you want something high quality and one-of-a-kind, email Rick at: rsetina@me.com

Prices will vary on design, dimensions, and wood/materials type. He can replicate this design for you too.

Comments

  1. This is absolutely amazing! When I looked at the first pictures I was thinking: "That's the kind of station that Richard Setina could make"!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment