To log or not to log? That is the question!



Let's be honest, most of us had no clue what we were doing when we began to fly fish. Both as an adult and a child, we're really just chucking crap out in the water hoping to catch a fish. Of course, as we've developed our skills along the way we learn what works: remembering what to do and what not to do, where to fish and where not to fish, etc...Most of these things we hang between our ears and never forget because of the positive and negative experiences we've had. But sometimes, there are details that are easily forgotten. Details that if you had, might not have lead to that oh-so frustrating trip where you were completely skunked, broke a rod tip, lost 8 flies, your floatant fellout and drifted down the river, you cursed more times than casted, and the fish keep swimming behind your feet as if to mock you and say, "What a freaking dunce!" Ever had that trip? Ok, so having all the little details doesn't actually alleviate every one those problems, but it does help prepare you for your trips.

Which brings me to my logbook. I currently keep a Tenkara log detailing the location, time and date, weather conditions, water conditions, quantity of fish caught, species, type of fly/kebari pattern used, and technique notes. Mostly each fishing trip I take, I log in the book.





Why keep a log?

1) It keeps you focused on what works best at each location for that time of year.

2) It aids in improving your techniques and selections by eliminating what doesn't work.

3) It's nerdy.

4) It's a novelty.

5) You'll feel like a mariner or Captain!

Keeping a log only helps if you actually refer back to it and apply the information. That would be like writing out details for a building project but  when it comes time to build it, you only use  the tools and materials present to build, you'd end up with a grass hut! Logging each trip and reviewing doesn't mean each sucessful trip will be the same, even down to the same circumstances and conditions. Remember, you're fishing! The most fickle game on the planet! But, from my experience it has helped me reduce the number of bad trips by making them awesome to decently enjoyable.




Keeping a Tenkara log isn't for everyone. Personalities have a lot to do with keeping something this tedious and detailed. By nature, that's my personality type. My wife's personality is more free and go with the flow. I can tell you, she would cowl at the thought of keeping something like this. Not only do perosnalities have play but also, your philsophy. A "Tenkara Outlaw" once remarked of the logbook, "Keep it simple." Insinuating Tenkara is to keep things simple and minimalistic, therefore a Tenkara log isn't absolutely necessary; don't use it. I can see my friend's idea, but personally, it's made me a better angler for it. However, it's not for everyone.

I bought mine from a custom journal maker from Etsy, The Lady of Letters. I contacted the maker and told them what I wanted and made it fairly reasonable, I think I picked mine up for $50 or something. It comes with almost half a lifetimes worth of pages for trips, so $50 was worth it. To be honest, when I bought it I felt kind of feminine. I thought to myself, "Why the heck do I have dang fishing journal?" But between the sips of coffee and tying of flies, the helpfuness of my journal has really showed itself.



Comments

  1. Good post and nice looking log book! I tried keeping a journal years ago but never really kept up with it. I found myself not actually going back and looking up old information so I gave up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jason, I keep it out on my desk as a constant reminder. Even still I can be in a hurry to leave for the trip or too busy the night before to look over. I'm just not entering into where I've used for it for a year so the notes as far as time of season are just now coming into play.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know you had the cover with custom text, but was teh internal text the same as her normal "fishing journal"?

    ReplyDelete
  4. For the internal text, I designated what I wanted. I had an older fishing journal I went based on, and she formatted everything. If you reference my name and "tenkara journal" I'm sure she can duplicate/modify your order.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice looking log book, but I have never kept one even when I was fishing with a reel.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment