Birthday Tenkara!





For my birthday last year, my wife allowed me to take her Tenkara fishing! This year she surprised me again. We went out Saturday, October 11 for our adventure to Estes Park. I am really lucky to have a Fall birthday, be in Estes Park, fish, and fish with my wife- just completely intoxicating. We stopped at the Big Thompson just below the Lake Estes Dam.




She made the Oni rod work like a champ!


As this was only the second time she has fished Tenkara, I gave her a brief overview of casting. She understood it quick. Women in general do get the casting stroke down fast as they have a more delicate touch when they handle mostly anything with their hands. My wife was doing well, getting the line to lay out and present nearly perfect! I hope one day the Tenkara bug will stick with her and she will want to do it more often than just on my birthday. I imagine moments in the future, where it's our children, her, and I are all fishing Tenkara together. I will gladly take the fly out of the mouths of the fish my wife and children catch! "Some day" I must continue to say to myself, "Some day."





It was a fun day! I landed 4, one of which was 14 inches, while the other were around 12 inches.



I hope my lovely wife continues this tradition! Doing your passion is so fun, but sharing in your passion with a loved one is so much more rewarding! I hope everyone gets the opportunity like I am blessed to have.

Comments