Veevus Iris Thread, More Flash for Less Cash!



Recently, I have been doing some major stocking of my fly tying materials. I'm not a seasoned fly tying veteran, so I do not have hoards of materials like most- but I'll get there. Fly tying has become extremely therapeutic for me. There's something about sitting at the vise, concentrating on each step and turn, that leaves me more calm than I was when I began. I hope you find it to be the same.

I stumbled upon a thread I had never encountered before, the Veevus Iris. Like a redneck at bass-boat show, I was mesmerized by the sparkle. I imagine that's how some fish are when they see anything with flash. Ok, maybe not exactly but sometimes you like your fly to have a "milkshake that brings all the boys to the yard." (If you didn't get the reference, just consider the term milkshake as a visual aphrodisiac and replace boys with fish). Don't think about it too much. 

The thread is decently thick, probably 1.5 times the thickness of a Uni 6/0 thread. So this won't work well on anything smaller than a size 16 hook. 


Veevus is small company based out of France.


The Iris thread is braided- almost like regular thread braided with a thick tinsel. Veevus makes the Iris thread in a variety of base colors, all having a multicolored flash braided with it. 





You won't find this specialty thread at every fly shop. I bought mine online from JS Fly Fishing for $3.25.  

Comments

Post a Comment